- Black pitted olives, 250gr, a jar or a tin, neutral flavored
- 1 tbs peppercorn mix, bruised
- 1 bay leave
- a pinch of dried paprika, ginger, see salt, cayenne pepper, piment d’Esplette or chili flakes
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- If available; a pinch of bruised mustard seeds, bruised coriander seeds or dried fennel or a garlic clove
Remove olives from the jar and mix with all ingredients, place in a container with a lid on. Place in the fridge and marinate for min 1h up to the next day, stir from time to time.
Serve in a pretty bowl.
for 4 pers, prep time 30′, cooking time 3h
- 800 gr lean beef, in pieces of 3 x 3 cm
- 1 large onion, chopped into pieces
- Stew herbs*
- good butter and olive oil
- 2 bay leafs
- 2 cloves of bruised garlic, diced
- a stern of thyme and rosemary
- 1 tbs see salt and 1 tbs freshly grounded pepper
- 2 Belgian beers
- 3 pieces of brown bread
- Dyon mustard
Remove the beef from the fridge & let it rest until it has reached room temperature. Afterwards, season the meat with the sea salt, pepper & stew herbs.
Heat a good pot, Le Creuset style, very hot, add some olive oil and a little nob of butter. Sear the meat in smaller batches (+/- 4), turn the meat so it will be brown on all the sides. Ad 1/4th of the onion on the end. Remove the beef from you pot and set aside while preparing the other batches. It’s important not to put too much beef in the pot on the same time because the searing will define the colour of your dish & the overall flavour.
Replace all the beef in the pot, add the bay leaves, garlic, thyme & rosemary. Season some more with the stew herbs, pepper and salt, if needed. Ad one of the 2 beers. Cover the pieces of bread with the mustard, place on top of the beef. Let this simmer for 3 h on a medium – low heat or place in the oven on 125 gr C°. Stir every hour and ad some beer if needed.
Best made a day upfront to let the flavours set and develop.
You can eat this with French fries, potatoes in the oven, mashed potatoes,… Some winter vegi’s on the side.
* If you dont have stew herbs, please mix the following and ad : 1 tbs grinded coriander seeds, 1 tbs salt, 1 tbs of grinded pepper, 1 tbs grinded ginger, 1 tbs cayenne pepper, 1 tbs grinded cardamom, 1 tbs grinded thyme.